Tuesday, June 1, 2010

This is so cool!

We moved to the park 18 years ago this coming September. Over that time, I have planted several different flower beds and flowers. This is a Clematis vine that I planted probably 10 years ago. 

It will be full of gorgeous purple flowers in a few weeks. This next picture is from last year. It had hundreds of flowers on it.

This year, however, it has something more fun in it. I noticed a Chipping Sparrow flying in and out of it last week, so I followed it and found this:

Four very tiny (maybe 1/2") blue eggs.  The entire nest is only 2 inches across or so.

Today I looked in the nest and we now have 4 tiny babies.

This is what they will look like when they are grown. (sorry, I didn't get a pic of mom, had to find one on the internet).

ChippingSparrow6

Right after I found the nest of babies, I looked down and saw some ants busily carrying a dead cricket along the grass.

  They were super intent on moving it along, all working together.

They finally moved it about 2 feet to their hole, and were getting it pulled down into their ant hole for dinner later I assume. Or maybe to lay eggs on. I guess I'm not sure what they do with it.

As I was watching them work so hard to get the cricket pulled along to their hole, Mr. Rooster came along and just gobbled them all up in one gulp.

IMG_6233

I guess that's nature, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment