Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Something to ponder

I have a Twitter account, but I do not Tweet. I do follow a few accounts, though.  Today I saw a tweet that made me think a bit. This person wrote "I wonder if decades from now my Great Grandkids will be reading these tweets to learn about one of their dead ancestors. 'Hi'." This made me wonder.

For at least 15 years, I have researched my ancestors.  How very excited I would be if I found as much information about my Great Grandma Goldie's life as I post about my family and I on this blog.

We found this calendar that was my Great Grandfather Harvey's (Goldie's husband) and it was a small glimpse into what he did day to day, which was fantastic to me.

Harvey Nachtman Calender 1935_02

He wrote what he did or what happened for the year 1935 on a free calendar from the local grocery store. Silly, mundane things like "went to Owen's with car", "butchered the Walen barrow", "rode on lake creek for horses" and "had land meeting". He wrote when certain cows gave birth or died "Pet had heifer calf by Anxiety", "Rachel died". But the best one is "rec'd pear burner" and "started burning cactus for the cows". This entry is January 12, 1935 during the Dust Bowl drought of the 1930s. They burned the needles off the prickly pear cactus to give their cattle food during the cold winter.  Even this little bit gives a window into what their life was like. This is a picture of Great Grandma Goldie with the burner, burning the cactus, with the ranch in the background.

goldie burning cactus

Most of my blog entries are pretty mundane as well, they are just life as we are living it. Will Ava or her children find this interesting? Will any of this even be around when they are old enough to find it interesting? All three of my children have become "savers". They keep old birthday cards, prom boutonnieres, notes, etc. I think I must have instilled this in them by proxy somehow. It wasn't necessarily on purpose, but however it worked, I'm glad it did.  I hope this gets passed on to my grandchildren as well, and that they will be interested in what our life is like and be excited to find things like this about us.

It's a weird thing to think about really. Will I have a facebook account or still blog when I'm 80? Who knows. I think about my Grandma Sara who died in 2008, and try to compare her to what I think I will be like when I'm 80. Now that's strange! I would like to think that I will still be telling everyone about what we are doing and hope that I'm a feisty old lady when I'm that old. But who knows?

It's definitely something to ponder.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment