Friday, February 17, 2012

Beer Can House

“A Houston Landmark”

It was cold, rainy and dreary when we visited Houston last weekend, but I had a couple things I wanted to see, including the Beer Can House. It’s a landmark, so we might as well at least drive by, right? 

Beer-can-house

It was seriously covered and decorated with beer cans.

mailbox

It was started by John Milkovisch in his retirement in 1968.  He started with high unique treatment of the concrete when he got tired of mowing.

driveway

Then he moved on the siding and it grew from there.

IMG_4872

IMG_4879

It is located in a nice neighborhood not too far from downtown. There were small homes like this one, as well as new 3 story $750,000 houses. The streets were narrow, and I’m sure the neighbors get tired of people stopping to gawk at the beer cans.

IMG_4878

IMG_4874

IMG_4870

IMG_4873

I can’t say it was on my bucket list, but I can say I’ve seen it. :) I was unique and fun. And I may actually use some marbles somehow in our new deck this summer.

marbles-in-concrete

Here’s the whole story and more info (in case you want to see it for yourself!) : http://www.beercanhouse.org/

and more photos: http://www.flickr.com/groups/beercanhouse/pool/with/3694183069/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment