3 1/2 weeks ago we babysat our grand daughter Ava while she had an ear infection and cold.
3 weeks ago today Al and I both woke up with that cold. Jack was in town, and since he only comes back a few times a year, we pack a lot of work into that one week, so I was very busy. I never take sick days but I could have really used one that week, I felt terrible.
2 weeks ago today we started cleaning and packing the camper. Still have the cold, and now a cough. I haven't had a cough like this since I quit smoking 8 years ago!
1 week ago yesterday we made it to the coast. By this time I don't feel well at all. Still have the cold, the cough, the everything. I make an appointment to see a local Dr. He gives me antibiotics because the cold has now turned into a nice big sinus infection and obviously isn't going to go away nicely. Dr. recommends a Neti Pot as well. Sure, I know what that is I say, knowing all the time that the meds will make it better and I won't have to worry about knowing what it is anyway. (I do go on the internet to see what the heck he was talking about, so next time at least I can say I DO know).
Saturday I still don't feel much better. The headache just keeps coming back, and the sinuses won't drain. While we are getting groceries I decide to jump in and at least buy it. It's only $10.00, could it hurt?
Sunday I get up and there's really no difference, so I decide that I will try the recommended device. It is just a small teapot looking piece of plastic, a small spoon and packets of saline mix.
You mix the saline packet in the teapot with lukewarm water, bend your head over, pour it in one nostril and it magically comes out the other after going through your sinuses. Really!
The first experience was not pleasant at all, I didn't do it for long, it just felt too weird. You have to hold your head just right or it runs down your throat. And to top it off, about an hour after that my headache was back so bad I seriously contemplated going to the ER. I think I usually have a pretty high pain threshold, but this is just wearing me down. I decide I'm going to go back to the Dr. Monday, can't go on like this.
Monday I get right up and feel great! I'm excited and ready to get my work done so I can go do something. Decide I might as well try the contraption again. It can't hurt, right? It's still not pleasant, but I made it through the whole thing. A couple hours later, headache is back, but not as bad. At least it's manageable. Decide that maybe I don't need to go back to the Dr.
This morning I'm up and not feeling terrible again, so decide one more time. It's still not pleasant, but could it be working? Or maybe I'm just finally starting to get better. We will see, but it's a good sign I hope!
This post is under "useless knowledge" but at least if someone asks you what a Neti Pot is, now you will know, so maybe it's not so useless!
My sister-in-law swears by the Neti. She has had lifelong and pretty bad allergies, mainly to cats, but after using this device for awhile, she is practically sympton free...and owns the fattest cat on earth! Keep at it! Christie
ReplyDelete